Monday, March 18, 2013

One Month!

Colt is now one month old!  Well...one month and 3 days.  What a month it has been.  I am honestly just so happy that I survived it.  You never want to start out such a life changing thing as a newborn with your husband in the hospital, but we all made it!  When I think about the situation just with Colt and how he is as a baby, this time around is much easier than it was with Ryder.  Don't get me wrong, it is not easy, but I have gotten more sleep and just handled day to day things better.  Having a 2 year old around does, of course, make it a little challenging.  Thankfully Ryder is a good boy, and he's pretty self sufficient.  Right now, Colt is into his size 1 diapers.  They are a little big, but I feel like the newborns are just too small.  He was able to wear newborn clothes at first, but now he is only in 3 month clothes.  Some are big, but again, anything smaller is too small.  Colt does really well at night- he goes to bed between 11-12 and will sleep in anywhere from 4-6 hour stretches.  So we only have to wake up once in the night to feed him, and he will go right back to sleep.  I am so thankful for that!  He doesn't really have much of a routine yet since he's so little, and the days are still kind of sporadic as far as when he will nap and be awake.  He does tend to sleep through the mornings and he is more awake in the evenings of course.  I'll be happy when I can get his bed time to between 9-10!!  He is also fussier in the evening, but it's not horrible and it's usually because he wants to eat more!  He consistently eats 4 oz per feeding, but sometimes he will eat 5-6 ounces at night.  Trust me, we try every other possible thing besides a bottle when he's upset if he's already eaten 4 oz, but most of the time, he really does just want to eat more.  He has always been an eager eater from birth.  On Thursday, his actual one month birthday, he started having a bit of a cough.  It was really random, but of course it freaked me out.  I called the doctor and they advised me to give him saline drops in his nose because they said it could be  due to the weather changes and the drops would moisten his airways.  We have been doing this but he is still coughing some (not a whole lot).  We had his one month visit today, and when I talked to his doctor, he said all the things I was saying were not consistent with any particular problem.  I guess that's good?  He said it could be reflux but it didn't 100% seem like reflux.  He also said he could have a cold since he has had some boogers.  I really hope that's not the case.  He hasn't had any other symptoms really, so I'm not completely sold that is what it is.  I'm hoping it will just stop and we won't have to worry about it :)  Colt weighs 11 lbs exactly, so he has gained 2 lbs 8 oz since birth.  He is also 23.5 inches long, so he's grown 1.5 inches since birth!  This put his weight in the 75% percentile, his height in the 95%, and his head is in the 50%.  My mom said he has a little head like me, but I didn't realize I had a little head :/.  With Tummy time with Colt, he hates it like most other babies.  He does seem to be pretty strong, though.  When he is propped on his boppy he can really lift his head high.  When he's flat on his stomach he can't lift it quite as high, but he can do it pretty good.  He is also able to turn his head from side to side.  When he was 3 weeks old I laid him down for tummy time, looked up at the TV, and when I looked back down he was on his back!  I guess it was a flukey kind of thing, but I was so surprised/impressed!
I am so ready for the moment that I see Colt's first smile because he meant it and it's not just from gas!  In the last couple of days he has smirked some when I'm talking to him so I wonder if he's doing it on purpose. 
Overall, Colt is a really good baby and such a great addition to our family.  I can't imagine my life without him and am so excited to continue to watch him grow and reach milestones!

No comments:

Post a Comment