Week one was the fastest and slowest week of my life! It is crazy to think that it's already been almost two weeks that we had such a crazy, busy, scary, wonderful day on February 14 where we got to meet our precious Colt. The first week went by slowly waiting on Lance to come home from the hospital. Thank goodness we have family so close. I had someone here around the clock-either my mom, lances's mom and sister, Aunt Bonnie or Noni. They would come so they could help with Ryder while I took care of the baby. If they had not been so available, I just don't know how I would have made it. I am so lucky to have such a great family that is ALWAYS willing to help in any way they possibly can.
I had a lot of anxiety about having a 2nd baby...I really wanted one, but I was just scared about how I would balance two. But I can say that I thought my heart was full with Ryder and it's amazing how my heart was able to be more full and complete when Colt got here. I love him so much, and now I can't imagine my life without him. He is really a good baby. He sleeps, eats, poops, repeat. Sounds like the typical newborn, and maybe it's because I have done this once before, but this time caring for a newborn seems much easier. Maybe it's because I'm not breastfeeding/pumping (I feel guilty about this, but there were a lot of circumstances that led me not to do it). Colt is a very well tempered baby so far and is easily pleased. He has had a few episodes of cluster feeding which is so crazy!! This boy can eat!! The 2nd night we were home he was awake from 9pm-3am and ate 11 oz of formula in that time. I took him to his first pediatrician appointment on February 19, and he had already gained 2 oz. I took him back in for a weight check today, February 26, and his weight was up 9 lbs 2 oz- 8 oz more than his birth weight. He is still in mostly newborn clothes, but I know this won't last much longer at the rate he is going! Right now he eats anywhere from 3-4 oz a feeding. He eats every 2-3 hours during the day (he does lots of cluster feeding) and then I wake him up to eat every four hours at night. He really does pretty well at night once I am able to get him to sleep. When I wake him for night feedings, he eats and goes right back to sleep. He also sleeps a lot in the morning which I like because I am able to get Ryder up and fed and also do things around the house. Colt hates being naked, hates having his diaper changed and hates baths! Ryder was like this too for the first month, so it's nothing we haven't dealt with before :) I will be happy when he loves his bath and realizes getting a diaper change really isn't all that bad.
I am still shocked at how much hair Colt has...although I guess I shouldn't be since I had such BAD heartburn-maybe the old wive's tale is true after all? I hope it doesn't fall out! And his eyes seem like a darker tint than Ryder's were as a newborn, so I wonder if his eyes will be green. I can't wait to know what color they will end up being!
Ryder has done pretty well adapting to having a new brother, but he is being a little more defiant about things. He never wants to go potty and we practically have to force him in there. Or sometimes we ask him to do something and he will just sit on the ground in protest. This has been a little frustrating, but I'm sure it's a phase that will quickly pass. I am so excited for the day that Colt is big enough and the boys can play together and be best buddies. I am blessed that I was able to have two healthy children who can grow together and bond throughout life.
We had newborn pictures taken on Sunday when Colt was 11 days old. I was happy to do it at that age because that's how old Ryder was when we did his. Colt did a great job! I think she got some really cute shots and I can't wait to see them!
She's 4!
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment