Sunday, April 21, 2013

2 months old!

Colt is now 2 months old!  At 9 weeks he had his two month check up.  At the check up he weighed 14.7 lbs (90%) and 26" (99%).  He is bigger than Ryder was at that age.  At the check up, his doctor noticed what he thought was a heart murmur when he was listening to his chest.  He said he thought it was probably nothing and that heart murmurs were very common and often grown out of, but he said it wouldn't hurt to have an echocardiogram done to check it out.  I also talked to the doctor about how Colt chokes about 50% of the time when he eats.  It's strange, some days he won't ever choke when eating and others he does a lot. The doctor wants him to have a swallow study done to make sure he is not aspirating milk.  We are having them both done tomorrow, so I'm nervous but ready to get it over with!  I have a peace about it and have been praying about it, so I really feel like it will be okay.  I'm thankful that his doctor is precautionary with these things, because I'd rather have tests done and find out everything is fine than think everything is fine, do nothing, then find out we should have done something a long time ago.  Everything else with the appointment went great.  Poor little guy had to have four shots, so that was hard to watch!  He was pretty fussy later that night, and who could blame him?  I'm sure his little legs were so sore. 
Our day to day life is getting easier having a 2 year old and an infant.  We are finally settling into a routine, which is very good for me.  I love routines!  Colt usually goes to bed between 10-11 pm and he will sleep anywhere from 7-9 hours.  It is great!  Then when he gets up, I will feed him and put him back down and he will usually sleep another 2 hours.  That is really nice because it gives me a chance to get some stuff done in the morning, get Ryder breakfast, teeth brushed and all those things that are harder to do with a baby in your arms.  I am so thankful that Colt is such a good baby.  He still sleeps in our room at night in his pack and play, but I will probably move him this week to his bed.  It's hard to make that move, but I know it is the best thing.  We moved Ryder to his crib at 8 weeks and have really stuck to a good bed time routine, and Ryder has always been a great sleeper.  I want that to be the same for Colt.  He still mostly cries when he is hungry, and if he cries any other time we can usually make him happy again quickly and easily.  He is eating 4-5 oz every three hours during the day.  He wears size 1 diapers and wears size 3-6 month clothes.  Colt is starting to coo and talk and I love hearing it.  It's so cute.  He is also starting to mimmick us, like if we stick our tongue out at him, he will stick his out at us.  He loves having his baths and I think his favorite part is kicking his legs in the water.  He always has such an accomplished look on his face when he does it.  I can't wait until he is big enough for his jumper because he is going to love it.  One of his favorite places to be is on his changing pad.  When he is fussy, we can take him there and he will usually chill out.  There is a picture next to his changing pad on the wall and he will just look at it and smile the biggest smiles.  He is all about it!  It's funny how much he loves it.
The newborn stage is definitely not my favorite, and it's mostly because I worry so much about the baby getting sick since fever in a newborn is usually an automatic ER visit.  It's because of this that we literally never left our house except to go to the doctor until Colt was 8 weeks.  Actually, the first time we left our house for something other than the doctor was the day before he turned 8 weeks.  We went out to Saltgrass to have dinner.  Colt did great and did not cry once.  I wo.uld say that the experience went perfectly, except right at the end of dinner some random waitress came over to see him and touched his face.  I was just cringing thinking about how many germs she probably had all over her hands!!  I don't really understand why any stranger would think it is okay to touch a young baby's face. 
I love watching Colt grow and do new things daily.  He brings so much joy to our lives!
UPDATE:  Our day at the hospital with the tests went really well!  We were there from about 10am-3pm with lots of waiting.  Colt was a perfect angel the entire time, I was so relieved!  During his Echocardiogram, the ultrasound guy was super nice.  He made me feel so comfortable.  By the end of the day we had the report that Colt has a very small hole between the top two chambers of his heart.  Apparently this is called a PFO and is in about 50% of babies and most never know it.  It is not anything that usually causes any issues and is not anything we need to follow up on.  His swallow study also went perfectly, and they didn't see anything wrong at all.  He is not aspirating milk. They thought maybe he was just having a little reflux which is what could be causing the choking while he eats.  We are using a thicker formula now, so hopefully that will help.  I am so thankful everything went well and we got great reports!

No comments:

Post a Comment