Saturday, July 17, 2010

Week 2: July 9-15

Week two was so much better than week one!  We are really enjoying our little boy :)  He has had lots of visitors and been so sweet.  The dogs are calming down and getting used to him.  This week I am really struggling with breast feeding.  I feed for so long and it's like he never gets enough.  I end up having to give him a bottle after anyway of pumped breast milk. 
On Monday, we went to the newborn photography session that I had won in a facebook contest.  Ryder did so good!  The photographer said the shoot would take 3-4 hours, so I was nervous that Ryder would struggle, especially since he would be naked the whole time.  He hates being naked!  The photographer takes the pictures out of her home in a front room.  She immediately took him when we got there, and she wanted Lance and I to relax in her living room while the shoot took place.  She didn't really want us in the room for the shoot because she said if baby smells mommy, they tend to cry.  This was a nice little break for us!  The room she did the shoot in had heaters in it, so Ryder did not mind being naked.  He stayed so warm!  It was so hot in that room!  I kept peeking around the corner to try to get glimpses of the pictures she was taking, and I know these pictures are going to be SOOO cute.  I cannot wait to see them!!!  She kept putting little hats on Ryder and he was curled up so cute naked.  After about 2 and a half hours, it was time for Lance to step in.  Lance had to hold his naked little butt in his hands in front of a black back drop.  I told Lance right before, "If he poops, DO NOT move your hands as a reaction because you will drop him!"  Lance has this awful reaction to poop and gags any time he is around it.  And sure enough, a couple minutes in to Lance holding him, Ryder took a big ole poop on daddy's hands.  Ryder had already pooped on the photographer and on a rug, so we thought his system was cleaned out.  I was proud of Lance, though, he was able to hold his hands there and keep composed until we could get Ryder and get him cleaned up.  Then it was time for our family shot.  For the first pose, Lance again had to hold Ryder.  A couple minutes in, we heard trickling and looked down and Ryder was peeing all over daddy!  It was hilarious!  I was laughing so hard, and Lance was not.  We will always remember this photoshoot and tell Ryder this story of the day he pooped and peed on his dad.
We went to the pediatrician again on Tuesday, July 13, and Ryder weighed 8 lbs 6.4 oz!  The doctor said he looked great.  I talked to the doctor about my breast feeding situation and he recommended us visit the Baylor Grapevine lactation consultant.  I was very frustrated with the Harris consultants, because they were mad at me for introducing a bottle and wanted me to continue to breast feed, cup feed, then pump.   Which this is what I did in the hospital when I got no sleep.  I was not about to do that again.  The Baylor Grapevine lactation consultant was my last effort with this whole breast feeding thing.  We went on Wednesday, July 14, and we had the nicest consultant ever.  I really liked her because she gave me the mom point of view AND the lactation nurse point of view.  She watched me  feed him and immediately saw why I was having such a hard time.  Ryder was a very lazy eater, due to the jaundice, and my milk supply was not very good.  She suggested using a nipple shield to try to help.  This did help a little.  She also suggested I take a supplement called Fenugreek to help with my milk supply.  She gave me hope again that this could work.  She said to really work at it the next 24 hours.  So I did, and unfortunately, nothing changed.  So at this point, I am going to pump until I can't pump anymore and then go to formula.  I am sad about this, because I really did want to breastfeed.  And I have a whole new respect for moms that are able to.  It is not easy being the sole provider of food and keeping a baby on a schedule to eat every 3 hours. 
During this week, his circumcision plastibell fell off and his umbilical cord fell off on his two week birthday!  Yay, Ryder! 

No comments:

Post a Comment